Christian McArdle

Default Conservatory floor/foundation issues

How important is it to do the foundations right for a conservatory? It will
go over an area that is currently half concrete slab (looks thin) and bricks
(a bit wobbly). Can I just get some concrete over the whole lot to level and
strengthen it, or do I need to do some serious digging? The sides would be
wooden. I want to use the room as a dining room, as it is right next to the
kitchen.

The back garden has no access except through the house. It is not possible
to get large pieces of equipment to the rear. Is it possible to have ready
mixed concrete pumped through the house through a hose? Obviously the
quantities required aren't huge, but I don't think you'd get a mixer round
the back. A full wheelbarrow is out of the question as there is a sharp turn
and newly sanded and varnished floors. You'd need to upend it to get round
the corner.

One edge of the conservatory may form the boundary, replacing a rotten
fence. Windows on that side would be painted out, or replaced with ply. Does
this complicate the issue, as this wall would be right on the edge of the
slab? I could build just up to the fence, and just take the fence panel down
when maintaining. This will probably be at the neighbours option.

Christian.