Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bill in Detroit Bill in Detroit is offline

Default A nice score at work today

Prometheus wrote:

By contrast, many of those same places will force a person to work six
or seven 14 hour days a week, screw up the payroll on a regular basis
and get mad if a guy has a cold or just simply wears out and needs a
day off after months or years of manditory overtime.

I was expected to work 6-14's and a 10 while attending college classes
for journeyman. I was given 15 minutes to get to school, inclusive of
wash-up time. At the time, I was spending most of my days with my head
inside a die, barbering it. I still looked like a coal-mining smurf when
I showed up for classes. Others taking the same classes were permitted
to knockoff an hour early so as to have a chance to change mental gears
and get a bite to eat before going to school.

I was fired for following the direct orders of my supervisor which were
in conflict with the instructions of higher-ups. Mr. Higher-up was
actually trying to trim staff in order to look good for a prospective
job switch.

I tried for a while to re-enter the machine trades, but could only get
hired by 89 day shops.

Today I make pens for a living.

Bill
rascal less in the world.
Thomas Carlyle (1795 - 1881)
http://nmwoodworks.com

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000710-0, 02/03/2007
Tested on: 2/3/2007 10:12:16 PM