Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default A nice score at work today

On Sat, 3 Feb 2007 10:52:27 +0000 (UTC), Bruce Barnett
wrote:

Prometheus writes:

I can recall working for a small machine shop that was very much like
that. We called it "government work" and you were allowed free run of
the shop on your lunch 1/2 hr to do whatever metal work you might have
need of doing.

We call it that here as well- I figured it was an oddball thing that
was specific to the shop, but I guess not!

Naaaah. It's used all over for the neubies. When I was a pink-faced
summer assistent to a welder, (Chip the Welder in Amsterdam, NY) I
watched and learned a lot. I asked about some of his odd projects he
welded together at lunchtime, he looked left and right, and whispered
"guv'ment work. I can't talk about it."

One place I worked the government was the only customer. It was still
called "government work".

I did think it was odd that the guv'ment was interested in a
rotisserie for a grill. :-)