Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Prometheus Prometheus is offline

Default A nice score at work today

On 2 Feb 2007 11:18:45 -0800, "
wrote:

Sounds like you have a really good deal, the kind that is pretty rare
these days. You work for and respect your employer, and it sounds
like it is mutual.

I think it is a rare thing to find a relationship like that anymore.

You are absolutely not kidding. I've changed jobs a number of times
over the past several years, and it's been for the same two reasons
every time- the first is that the employer is engaging in unethical,
if not outright illegal practices, making it impossible for me to
respect them or feel right about doing my job. And the second is that
they treat the employees with less respect than they do the tools- I
couldn't say if it's always been like that, or if it's a relatively
recent development in our society, but regardless of whether it's me
or one of my co-workers (even one I don't care for much), I will not
stand by and watch a person in power abuse someone that does not
deserve it.

I feel very fortunate to have found this place to work- they're very
honest, and seem to have a good grasp of what is actually required to
make the business function. Everyone gets treated fairly- and that's
all I've ever asked of an employer. Doesn't seem like much to ask,
but I guess it is.

I used to let my guys take home just about any of the unused materials
(half sheets of plywood, paint, sealers, 2Xs, etc.) that they wanted.
During lunch or break, I would help them build small cabinets, etc.
from the material, and even help them load it into their trucks. I
never let them have much time to build things during business hours,
after all, that is what we were on the job to do.

Nothing wrong with that- I've done tons of construction over the
years, and there's no call to be building extra stuff on a jobsite.
Getting free materials is bonus enough!

But they got my support and help as much as I could. Too many things
get in the way of having that kind of relationship anymore, and while
I still have that kind of thing going with a couple of my subs on a
rare basis, and I only have that kind of relationship with one of my
part time employees these days.

I have no more full time employees as it is easier to sub work out to
someone that really wants to be there and wants to work. When
employee relations work well it can be quite rewarding personally and
lucrative business wise. But a few bad apples (think the mantra of
the construction worker - "BFD - who cares, I was looking for a job
when I found this one") can really ruin both sides of the equation.

Oh, I *definately* know about that. I really like building, but when
it comes right down to it- I'm never working construction again,
unless I am the contractor and it's just for extra money or to help
out a friend. It was great for the four or five years I worked alone
as an independant, but just did not work out when I tried to work on a
crew- for exactly the reason you've noted above. Having been the guy
who had to face the customer for such a long stretch, I could not
stand hearing the nonsense that came out of my fellow employees. They
didn't seem to understand the amount of investment (both financially
and emotionally) that the customers were putting into the job, and
seemed to genuinely believe that it didn't matter if they did a
half-assed job.

I do believe the next time I hear anyone laugh and say "there ain't no
such thing as a sixteenth," or "It's just a [insert your structure
here- and it could be anything from a doghouse to a mansion, I've
heard it everywhere]," I'm going to stick the claw of my hammer in
their head.

I would be thrilled to have someone work for/with me that took some
initiative to learn, explore and teach themselves something new when
they had a little free time. In the end (if it was task/field
related) I would certainly benefit from it, too.

Tell you what- I'd be thrilled just to know a couple of people like
that that I could have a beer with from time to time. Sure would beat
the apathy that seems to eat most people from inside. It's getting to
be a hard thing to look people in the eyes and see nothing behind them
but a hollow, rabbit-like fear.

Besides, I like reading about your science experiments. Keep it up!

Sure will. Can't do much else at this point. I'm just old enough to
be set in my ways, and the only alternative I see to trying to do
everything for myself is to sit around and bitch about the sorry state
of things- and I do enough of that as it is! Can't complain if you're
not willing to do what you can to remedy the situation.

Seems to help a little in my tiny corner of the world as well- if the
guys around you see you doing everything you can do 100% of the time,
sometimes it gives them a little nudge to try something they had
previously thought beyond their abilities. Seeing other people try
and succeed at something they had told me was too hard or not possible
after I give them a little pep talk or some tech support has got to be
one of my favorites thing in the world, (next to doing those things
myself, of course!)

Then again, some folks just resent it- but a guy can't do much about
that.

You know, I tumble this thing around in my head on a continuous
circuit... I understand the pressures of daily life as much as anyone-
I often work 50-60 hours a week, and have to pay the bills and do the
laundry and all the other crap everyone has to do. What I can't get
my head around, no matter how hard I try or what angle I approach it
from, is how so many, many people can let their entire lives slide
past unnoticed while they sit in a bar or stare at a television. I
don't think everyone needs to be a tradesman or artisan who makes
things, but there has got to be *something* they care about that they
.....just.... ....won't.... ....do.... Inertia works both ways- the
mind in motion stays in motion, but the mind at rest stays at rest
until it rots from disuse.