Posted to alt.home.repair
Bill Reece Bill Reece is offline

Default crack in tub..help

I'll keep that in mind, thanks.

"jim" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jan 27, 9:11 am, "Bill Reece" wrote:
I have a 3 yr old home and it appears when the "plumbers" installed my
tub
they used a prybar in the drain to position it and cracked it. They then
hired a professional to repair it. Well, it started leaking from the
upstairs to my bathroom downstairs. I couldn't find it so I replaced the
qauter round and re caulked it. The put in a shower door. I'm thinking
the
whole time that my teenagers are just being sloppy and it's leaking
around
the tub because I couldn't see it in the tub. And when I disassembled
the
faucet/shower I couldn't find a leak. I kept looking and decided to re
putty the drain. It still leaked. That's when I finally noticed the
hairline border around the repaired crack! arrgghh. Of course I
contacted
the builder and they had a good laugh I'm sure.

anyway, the crack appears to be about 2" long on the floor of the tub and
about 1/2" wide in the center. I have to assume it goes down the drain as
well because the leakage slowed considerably when I reputtied it.

For now I just want to stop the leak with some adhesive. The tub is you
basic molded plastic/fiberglass(?) shower/tub combo. I imagine in the
future I will have to rip it out and put in a completely different type
of
tub, unless I decide to take the dorr out to fit a molded one back in.

Any and all suggestions are appreciated and welcome.

thanks, Bill

Less you are going to pull it to get at the bottom don,t bother get
new tub, patches have to be done from the bottom as that is where it
will get its strength