Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] babbleworks@gmail.com is offline

Default Need help on how to wire 240 volt machines

You're correct that everything needs a complete path. With 240V in
North America, you can think of it as one hot being at 120V and the
other at -120V. The difference between them is 240V.

If you only need pure 240V, then you don't really need the neutral--you
just use the two hots and ground. Current flows in one hot and out the
other, and the ground is for when things go wrong.

And why is it said that one should run 4 wire if its a 240 appliance?

Many 240V appliances in North America use 120V control circuits. This
requires a neutral conductor. The main load of the appliance uses the
two hots, and the ground is still for when things go wrong.

I had no idea. Honestly, what i've learned in this post gave some
bills to my electrician. Don't want to touch it.