Posted to rec.woodworking
RayV RayV is offline

Default Need opinions on garage cabinet project...

On Jan 31, 5:56 pm, "tom" wrote:
I told myself I'd get organized this year, so I'm making some MDF-carcass
cabinets with face frames, doors and 1/4-ply backs: approx. 79"Hx47"Wx16"D.
I plan on hanging them (kinda like kitchen cabinets) on the wall...to keep
them 6" off the garage floor...on three rows of 1"x2" strips (screwed to
studs): top, middle and bottom.

I'm a little concerned about the weight of these things. Does this "hanging
plan" sound workable? Thanks a lot, guys.

I also would recommend plywood or even OSB since you are adding face
frames. 6" off the floor suggests they will also serve as the base
for a counter or workbench. Don't know what your reasoning is for the
6" but if its water but bricks under the cabinets with plastic between
the bricks and cabinets to keep the water out. I wouldn't hang them
to use as a base for a workbench.