Posted to rec.woodworking
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default TV Woodworking Shows--What hapened?

On 31 Jan 2007 18:02:29 -0800, "
wrote:

Try not to obfuscate. The government also supports by lost taxes on
donations, and many states give a direct tax credit. Then there are the
sponsors who supply production money - for a write-off ... goes on and on.

Not sure what the point is. First off, the tax deductions are
controlled
by individuals, not by government. In that, you chose to send
money to whoever you want to - religious or
other charity organizations. So to claim that
these groups GET support from the government because you get
a deduction on your taxes, is odd. Tho, in a way, I could see it
as making sure that SOME of YOUR money is diverted from the federal
budget to your local charity. If that's what you mean, I agree.
But where I disagree is that in some way means that there is
support from the federal government because of tax deductions is
a bit hard for me to follow.

What you're missing is that the government decides what is and is not
a charity eligible for deductible donations. By deciding that PBS or
NPR stations are eligible they are willingly foregoing tax revenue.

The product placement is the "price of admission" for Delta or other
corporations to contribute to the PRODUCTION (I bet) of the show.
There
might be SOME money coming to the local stations, but I would think
it would be in the reduced cost of buying the series. If your local
PBS station got NYW for $200g for the season WITHOUT
Delta's ads or for $100g WITH the ads, guess which one they
will chose?

MJ Wallace