Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Need opinions on garage cabinet project...

"tom" wrote in message

I told myself I'd get organized this year, so I'm making some MDF-carcass
cabinets with face frames, doors and 1/4-ply backs: approx.

79"Hx47"Wx16"D.
I plan on hanging them (kinda like kitchen cabinets) on the wall...to keep
them 6" off the garage floor...on three rows of 1"x2" strips (screwed to
studs): top, middle and bottom.

I'm a little concerned about the weight of these things. Does this

"hanging
plan" sound workable? Thanks a lot, guys.

You plan would be quite workable with plywood, but dicey with mdf ... AAMOF,
I wouldn't even try.

If mdf is your final choice, you really want to consider placing the boxes
on a 6" base, let the floor take the weight, and let the hanger strips
fasten them to the wall.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/27/07