Andy Jeffries

Default What constitutes reasonable wear (cordless drill)

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 15:45:59 +0100, Gnube wrote:
just wanted to remind people that the warranty is additional to
your consumer rights which covers you for up to 6 years from purchase.

6 years? I'm all ears if you've got the time; sounds fascinating. I
could see a year or three fairly easily, but 6 years, gosh! Presumably
diminishes a bit along the way?

It's fairly straight forward. Neither the Sale of Goods Act[1] nor any other
applicable act (e.g. the Sale and Supply of Goods and Services Act [2])
mentions anything about a limited amount of time that goods should last.
The Sale of Goods Act does have provisions that a product should be
reasonably durable.

The maximum length of time you have to claim is up to 6 years.

Basically the guidance I have been given is that if a reasonable person
would expect a given product to last X months/years then it should. If
you buy a 20 GBP drill and use it on a building site every day for 7
hours/day a reasonable person wouldn't think it would last long.

There is a leaflet downloadable from the Which? web site[3] which you may
find interesting and there is a report somewhere on the net from Which?
that shows how they went back to high street retailers after the year
warranty and asked for a repair. Only a couple of retailers (out of those
tested) admitted they were liable.

{too thick for linux}

It's getting easier! ;-)

Cheers,