Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.energy.renewable,alt.home.repair,alt.hvac
Joe Fischer Joe Fischer is offline

Default Need to replace Electric Baseboard Heating Units & Replacement Windows

On Tue, kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:

If a propane burner is emitting CO, then it's not adjusted properly.

If a propane burner can burn so clean....... WHY ARE THEY VENTED?????????

And while we are on it... WHY ARE THEY NOT 100% EFFICIENT?????????

Get a clue man, you're DANGEROUS!!!!!

Catalytic propane radiant heaters are popular in
large spaces, but I wouldn't use one in a home, and
have never seen one used in a home.

I saw 3 UNVENTED natural gas heaters purchased
to be installed in a home by an ex-gas company employee,
and heard later that the tenants complained of the odor
using them.
I had a friend that used stove top burners to heat
a couple of rooms upstairs in his parent's house, when
I visited my eyes burned a lot.

People do use unvented heaters, and some are
advertised as being safe to use in a home, but if there
is a warning on the heater to use it ONLY in a well
ventilated space, it is probably not safe to use in
a home.

There has been a progression in the safety of
natural gas space heaters, the first had no safety
devices at all, then they had pilot lights with thermo-
couples to not open the main valve if the pilot goes
out, and both of mine also have an overheat Klixon
in series with the thermocouple, and that makes it
safer, but requires changing the thermocouple more
often because of the resistance of the switch and
wires, and the thermocouple produces less voltage
after a few months of use.

I have no problem with using the gas space
heaters, but I prefer not to have one running in a
room I sleep in, even thought they are vented with
5 inch metal vent pipes into a tile lined masonry
chimney.

Joe Fischer