Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.energy.renewable,alt.hvac
Mike Hartigan Mike Hartigan is offline

Default Quartz Space Heater

In article ,
lid says...
On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 14:41:13 +1100, "Justin" ' wrote:

| "Solar Flare" wrote in message
| .. .
| Light is not heat. Get over it.
|
| I hope your sound system noise doesn't heat up your room too.
|
| Geeesh. Go back to school you energy dummies. Your eyeballs are all
| burned from illumination being converted to heat in your brains.

So lets see how long you can hold a 500 watt halogen bulb in your hand after
it has been burning for ten minutes.

The fact that you get burned is evidence of wasted energy. Consider
that you wanted light, not burned hands.

The point of this sub thread, though (if I can remember back that
far), was that, during the heating season, this heat is not wasted.
It directly offsets the demand on the furnace. The 500W lamp (it's
not actually called a 'bulb' in the industry) reduces the demand on
the furnace by exactly 500W. And if you heat with electricity, then
your total electric bill for that month will exactly the same,
regardless of whether that lamp is lit the entire month or not. In
fact, you could keep 50 if them burning and, as long as you're not
opening windows to cool off, it'll be exactly the same. Curiously,
you're feeding this lamp with 500 watts, for which it is giving you
500 watts of heat. In an all electric home, the light is, indeed,
'free'.