Posted to alt.home.repair
Bill Reece Bill Reece is offline

Default crack in tub..help

OK!, thanks for all the advice:

A rep from the builders is coming out Friday with either "the plumber" or "a
plumber". I'm not sure which, but I hope it's "a plumber" because I do not
intend to debate it with "the plumber". If that is the case and he is
contentious with me, then I'll not engage. Instead I'll let him blather.

No, I haven't talked to a lawyer, yet. And hope I never have to if I play
my cards right.

thanks again, I'll keep ya'll posted.

"Bill Reece" wrote in message
m...
I have a 3 yr old home and it appears when the "plumbers" installed my tub
they used a prybar in the drain to position it and cracked it. They then
hired a professional to repair it. Well, it started leaking from the
upstairs to my bathroom downstairs. I couldn't find it so I replaced the
qauter round and re caulked it. The put in a shower door. I'm thinking
the whole time that my teenagers are just being sloppy and it's leaking
around the tub because I couldn't see it in the tub. And when I
disassembled the faucet/shower I couldn't find a leak. I kept looking and
decided to re putty the drain. It still leaked. That's when I finally
noticed the hairline border around the repaired crack! arrgghh. Of course
I contacted the builder and they had a good laugh I'm sure.

anyway, the crack appears to be about 2" long on the floor of the tub and
about 1/2" wide in the center. I have to assume it goes down the drain as
well because the leakage slowed considerably when I reputtied it.

For now I just want to stop the leak with some adhesive. The tub is you
basic molded plastic/fiberglass(?) shower/tub combo. I imagine in the
future I will have to rip it out and put in a completely different type of
tub, unless I decide to take the dorr out to fit a molded one back in.

Any and all suggestions are appreciated and welcome.

thanks, Bill