Posted to uk.d-i-y
Sylvain VAN DER WALDE Sylvain VAN DER WALDE is offline

Default generator problem(s)

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 21:07:42 +0000, Sylvain VAN DER WALDE wrote:

"Grimly Curmudgeon" wrote in message
drugs began to take hold. I remember NoSpam
saying something like:

Just started-up a 2.2kW dual-voltage genny after a few years of sitting
in the garage and there's no output. It's marked "Allam Generators" and
has had very little use, it was perfect when last used. The c/b hasn't
tripped and trying the switch in all 3 positions makes no difference. It
doesn't seem to have any electronics in it. Any suggestions?

The most common cause of this on a genset that's been lying unused for
ages is damp in the windings.

How can damp affect _insulated_ windings?

It most certainly can. Presumably the insulation is not very thick and can
contain microscopic fracture which allow the ingress of moisture and/or
dirt so great increasing leakage current and lowering breakdown voltage.

Armature winders would not otherwise go to great lengths to bake winding
dry before and after dipping in the varnish vat.

Thanks for that info.

Sylvain.

Gas Fitting Standards Docs he
http://www.makewrite.demon.co.uk/GasFittingStandards