Posted to alt.home.repair
Paul M. Eldridge Paul M. Eldridge is offline

Default Need to replace Electric Baseboard Heating Units & Replacement Windows

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the link; I'll check it out shortly. Segment #6 offers a
top-ten run down of some of the simple things you can do to reduce
your home's energy needs. Overall, I found this Channel 4 programme
entertaining and informative, plus you've got to love those quirky
Brits and all their oddball expressions.

There are dimmable CFLs available but they're not as easy to find.
Phillips has a dimmable version of their Marathon product, which I
know is carried by Home Depot; as to whether it will fit dinning room
fixture only you can decide.

To track down some of those energy leaks, take a candle or stick of
incense and on a windy day go around and inspect your windows and
doors, wall plugs and light switches, fireplace dampers, attic hatch,
etc. You'll soon discover where it is you need to focus your
attention.

In terms of rates, I currently pay 10.13 cents per kWh for electricity
and, as of my last filling, 75.9 cents per litre for heating oil (my
prior fill-up was 81.9 cents and before that it was 83.9). Propane is
now running at $1.008 per litre.

There are 3.76 litres per U.S. gallon, so 75.9 cents per litre
translates to $2.85 per gallon; last winter, I was paying $3.15 per
gallon. In terms of propane, $1.008 per litre converts to $3.79 per
gallon.

So I think you can understand why I'm so enamoured with my heat pump.
It has effectively reduced my heating costs to just 4 cents per kWh.
That's less than half the cost of oil and about one-fifth the cost of
propane.

Cheers,
Paul

On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 03:22:46 GMT, "Mike" wrote:

Interesting Links Paul, so far I've listened to three of them. I swapped the
bulbs for energy saving baulbs within months after moving in in 2003.
Unfortunately,
for now I spend most of my time in my dining room which has a variable
switch for the overhead lights (two 100w bulbs) I haven't been able to
find -variable wattage energy saving bulbs. I never use the standy mode
for my plasma tv, etc.
I really do need insulate some. My PC is against a wall w/ two windows one
of which has an air conditioner and the other one just a 20 y/o dual pane
replacment window. For now I'm going to take off the window molding and see
if I can get some foam insulation in there and wrap the outside of the air
conditioner. Theres a sheet of platic over the inside of it.

I've been reading Tyson Slocum papers on energy. He tends to be a Bush
basher but if you read around it there's some very useful information about
the politics of energy in the US. What rates to you pay?

http://www.citizen.org/cmep/energy_e...r/electricity/

Mike