Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.energy.renewable,alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

Default Need to replace Electric Baseboard Heating Units & Replacement Windows

"Steve Spence" wrote in message
kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:
"Steve Spence" wrote in message
kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:
"Joe Fischer" wrote in message
news On Sun, kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:

"high tech furnaces are a threat"???????????

How do you come up with that
Ask the, about a million, people who lost power
for a week or more in the plains and west coast.

It would help if each one were installed with a
big warning sign "Be sure to have a backup heating
system if the power goes off".

I seriously doubt if one out of a thousand
homes have an emergency generator, and even
some that do could not isolate the furnace circuit
and run it.

But I am prejudiced, I don't like the noise
of the small duct forced air.
Ok then,

With most modern every day piece of heating equipment... which one do

you
recommend, that doesn't require ELECTRIC to operate?

Or are we to go back to the days of Gas Fired SPACE heaters???

What's wrong with propane wall heaters for emergency backup, or even a
nice woodstove?

As in my other reply, there are many ways to provide emergency heat

without
electric. But in most cases, these are inefficient and compromise your
comfort.

I disagree. In many areas, electric is expensive, and in our case not
even available. Wood heat is very comfortable, and so is propane.
Propane is very efficient (ventless). Wood is only a bit less with some
burners (http://woodboilers.com/)

Ok, this discussion is way off the original track... BUT

Electric isn't expensive EVERYWHERE. Especially when you use it to operate a
Heat Pump.

Wood heat isn't for MOST people as it's very labor intensive and requires
time that some people don't have. Or a schedule to accommodate one either.

Then you want to talk about VENTLESS LP heaters....... WHAT A JOKE!!!!!
Ever heard of Carbon Monoxide??

You do know CO kills RIGHT??

You do know, you don't use VENTLESS heaters as a primary source of heat,
RIGHT?

So to make it plain and simple... you can take those VENTLESS heaters and...
well, you get the point.