Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] ls1mike@gmail.com is offline

Default Quartz Space Heater

On Jan 29, 7:51 am, kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:
"Mike Hartigan" wrote in messagenews:MPG.2027a959615c2e71989928@newsgroups. comcast.net...

In article , kjpro @
usenet.com says...

"Mike Hartigan" wrote in message
t.net...

[snip]
The problem is that electricity costs so much more per unit of energy
than the alternatives that it can't be sold as an economic
alternative. Electric heat is 100% efficient. It simply costs more.

It doesn't cost more in all areas of the world.

True. I'm speaking in conventional terms in the US. Obviously,
YMMV.

In FACT, a natural gas fired, forced air furnace cost more to run than
straight electric heat last year.

Depends on where you live in the country. While my figgerin' could
be wrong, at around $0.08/kwh, (Chicago area), I calculated that
natural gas would need to be in the ballpark of $2 per therm in order
for electricity to be competitive.

You're correct, and natural was up to over $2.50 a therm last winter.

So input that into a 80% furnace and we have trouble.

While my memory is not flawless, I don't recall my rate getting much
over $1.25/therm last winter. (and I already factored in the typical
80% efficiency rating).

FWIW, I did some more figgerin' and came up with $1.92 as the break
even point at $.08/kwh, assuming 80% efficiency (this is all exclusive
of delivery charges, taxes, etc.). I understand that electricity
prices in other major metropolitan markets are about double mine, so
the break even price would be closer to $4.00/therm there. The bottom
line is that, barring any major technological breakthroughs in
electricity production, it's not likely that electricity will be
cheaper than gas as a source of residential heat anytime soon.