Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.energy.renewable,alt.home.repair,alt.hvac
Joe Fischer Joe Fischer is offline

Default Need to replace Electric Baseboard Heating Units & Replacement Windows

On Sun, 28 Jan 2007 23:58:18 -0600, kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:

Ok then,

With most modern every day piece of heating equipment... which one do you
recommend, that doesn't require ELECTRIC to operate?

Or are we to go back to the days of Gas Fired SPACE heaters???

Electric or electric controlled is fine for primary heat,
but I keep two Gas Fired SPACE heaters just for when
the electric is out. :-)

Actually, I have been lucky, power has not been
off more than 8 hours at a time.

My baseboard heat isn't working as well as I hoped,
even at 6 cents, it is expensive to heat just one room, small
kitchen and bath.

There really isn't much choice, it seems to be either
heat pump or modern furnace, depending on electric rates
and natural gas ups and downs.

My utility company offers free truck loads of mulch
when they are trimming trees in the area, but I would need
to build an incinerator type heating system for that.

The convenience of a modern heating system
of any kind really spoils people, the thought of chopping
wood seems like too much work, and it is too much for
me to think about.

Gas SPACE heaters can be built to be just as
efficient as the modern furnace, and I suppose I could
put ductwork for flame air and a heat exchanger in the
vent pipe, so I may need to do that next summer.

Joe Fischer