Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.energy.renewable,alt.hvac
Mike Hartigan Mike Hartigan is offline

Default Quartz Space Heater

Actually, the illumination is, indeed, free. 500 watts of energy
consumed results in 500 watts of heat, regardless of what else the
energy is doing. If you have a refrigerator that consumes 500 watts
of electricity and it runs continuously, it's producing exactly the
same amount of heat as five 100 watt light bulbs. And it chills your
beer for free. In fact, if you heat your home with electricity, it
doesn't cost a dime to run all your appliances and keep all your
lights on all day and all night long (assuming, of course, that you
do it during the heating season and you're not overheating your
house).

In article ,
lidated says...
Hey ! Free illumination!

Do you believe in perpetual motion too?

"R.L. Deboni" wrote in message
kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:

No kidding... this is what people don't understand.

Which produces more heat?

A 1 - 500 watt halogen light.
B 5 - 100 watt light bulbs.
C 1 - 500 watt electric heater
D 1 - 500 watt quartz heater
E 1 - 500 watt baseboard heater

Which answer below is correct?

1 They all create different amounts of heat.
2 A & B are equal, C & E are equal, but D produces more heat.
3 A, B & D are equal and C & E are equal, but C & E produce more
heat.
4 (A,B,C,D & E) All create the same amount of heat.

Correct, but incomplete, answer (have renumbered answers) is 4

But complete answer is:

A,B and D produce more radiation heat
C less radiation
E most heats buy convection

Therefore, if you are sitting exposed to sources A, B and D, you
feel warmer with the same power (sounds strange ?) as of C or E.

If you are interested ONLY in heating a room, answer 1) is ok.
But if you are interested in heating people (for example, outdoor),
sources A, B and D are very efficient options.

Let us put it this way: A,B and D are most efficient in delivering
the same amount of power of C and E, but where you need it mo on
your body.

Example: a keep 64 F at home. When I am walking around it is a
comfortable temperature. But when I sit down, I start to feel a
little cold.
Solution: a 150W halogen lamp with reflector pointed in my
direction. 150W is not that much power, but you have to compare it
to your body heating power (about 100-200W), so if you could deliver
that power to heat yourself and not the walls of your house ... :-)

R.L.Deboni