Posted to alt.home.repair
Berkshire Bill Berkshire Bill is offline

Default "Patching" water damaged cabinets

"John Gilmer" wrote in message

wrote in message
ups.com...
it will be less work to just replace the cabinents and a nicer job,
attractive to next tenant.

lowes has kraftmaids cabinents cheap and very nice

fixing them in place if they are truly bad is too much hassle

Except that: 1) I have to disconnect the plumbing; and 2) I have to take
off the counter tops.

If you are good with a sawzall, jig saw or circular saw you can cut out the
base and rebuild with ¾" plywood. You would have to support the upper part
of the cabinet of course. With careful cutting you can cut out the shelf
(the tenant wouldn't need that, they can just set their stuff on the
subfloor). Six or eight mending straps or joist connecting straps would
finish it nice. (imagine some of the conversation your tenant is going to
have with his friends). G

Honestly, the best approach is to replace the cabinet carcase with the same
manufacture or something close. The plumbing is easily avoided and you
usually can loosen the countertop enough to slide cabinets, dishwashers etc
in place.

Bill