Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.energy.renewable,alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

Default Need to replace Electric Baseboard Heating Units & Replacement Windows

"Jeffrey Lebowski" wrote in message

kjpro @ usenet.com wrote in message

"Jeffrey Lebowski" wrote in message

kjpro @ usenet.com wrote in message

"Mike" wrote in message

Hi, I live in a 70 y/o EOG rowhouse with southern & western

exposure
located
in Baltimore, MD.
The house has electric baseboard heating and window air

conditioners.
Utilities were recently deregulated
and I believe I need to install a more efficient heating unit.

Might
as
well install central air at the same time.

I understand there are new high efficiency units that can save a

bundle
in
utility costs but they need to installed by
a crew that's trained to install them otherwise the are less

effcient
than
the other systems.

Recommendations for HVAC companies are also needed.

Any recommendations for highly effcient replacement windows at a
resonalble
cost?
(will chck consumers union website)

Thanks,

Mike

Depending on your local utility rates, you might want to install

Heat
Pumps.

He's in Baltimore.

http://www.usepropane.com/esc/

But the real question is, what is his utility rates?

He has to enter that ( kwh ) for himself....varies considerably depending

on
your location...pretty sure IM at $.058/ kwh last I checked--"cheap
hydro"...

True... 6 cents/kwh is pretty darn cheap!

IIRC my brother is getting nailed at 3 ~bux /gallon--Seattle,Wa

OooooOoooooOooooooUCH!!!!!!!!

IIRC, your in the corn belt--then if so pay close attention to a/c
mode...dehumidifican problems and short cycling definately can be a

problem
where yuo have oversized a heat pump for to deal primarily with the

heating
load.

That's why one should size for the cooling system. :-)