Posted to alt.home.repair
SteveF SteveF is offline

Default Is Great Stuff Great?

"Steve B" wrote in message
I need to use a bunch of this product this spring to patch up some holes in
my cabin where the carpentryship wasn't exact. I notice they have two
formulas, one expanding more than the other one.

Tips on usage appreciated.

In some places, the gap is up to an inch. Would I be better to poke
shredded fiberglass in there using a dowel as a poker, then seal it with
Great Stuff? Or even seal it with a nice shade of caulking? Or fill it
mostly with Great Stuff, then smooth or cut smooth, then caulk over for a
nice finish?

Probably going to use a couple of dozen cans in all. It depends on how
much I fill up with shredded glass first, or just use the foam for the
entire void. What would you do?

Steve

There's three types - Cracks/Gaps in the red can, Big Gaps in the black can
and Doors/Windows in the blue can.

I've found if you fill a big area with the Big Gaps stuff (2" x 5" x 22") it
cures and then over the next couple of weeks shrinks and leaves an 1/8" -
1/4" gap all the way around. The Door/Windows version cures to a harder
skin than the Cracks/Gaps plus doesn't push very hard against things so I've
settled on that kind.

For air sealing, lay a bead down all the way in and let it expand. Put in
less than you think you need until you get the hang of how much it expands.
Put some insulation on top of that if you want after it cures.

For void filling, I've found the best bet is to fill as much as possible
with a piece of XPS foam board (the pink stuff at Home Depot). Cut a piece
so there is a 1/4" gap all the way around, put it in the gap and foam around
it. Nothing magic about the 1/4" number - that's the size of the dispensing
tube.

Comes off your skin easily with acetone. Of course, acetone isn't
particularly good for you so wear thin gloves if you got 'em. My work
clothes have paint, caulk and glue on them so I can't tell if I ever got any
GS on it.

When in doubt, read the instructions on the can.

Steve.

If you are just going for air sealing