Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Is Great Stuff Great?

I need to use a bunch of this product this spring to patch up some holes in
my cabin where the carpentryship wasn't exact. I notice they have two
formulas, one expanding more than the other one.

Tips on usage appreciated.

In some places, the gap is up to an inch. Would I be better to poke
shredded fiberglass in there using a dowel as a poker, then seal it with
Great Stuff? Or even seal it with a nice shade of caulking? Or fill it
mostly with Great Stuff, then smooth or cut smooth, then caulk over for a
nice finish?

Probably going to use a couple of dozen cans in all. It depends on how much
I fill up with shredded glass first, or just use the foam for the entire
void. What would you do?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote in message
I need to use a bunch of this product this spring to patch up some holes in my
cabin where the carpentryship wasn't exact. I notice they have two formulas,
one expanding more than the other one.

Tips on usage appreciated.

In some places, the gap is up to an inch. Would I be better to poke shredded
fiberglass in there using a dowel as a poker, then seal it with Great Stuff?
Or even seal it with a nice shade of caulking? Or fill it mostly with Great
Stuff, then smooth or cut smooth, then caulk over for a nice finish?

Probably going to use a couple of dozen cans in all. It depends on how much I
fill up with shredded glass first, or just use the foam for the entire void.
What would you do?

The big issues with "Great Stuff" are...

Wear gloves and clothes that you won't mind tossing when you're done. It is
near impossible to get off of skin and even harder to get out of fabric. Do not
be tempted to shape it like caulk. Let it harden and then "shave" excess off
with a razor knife.

The power of the expanding foam CAN damage stuff. Be conservative. It can
crack drywall and bow metal thresholds enough that the door rubs.

Posted to alt.home.repair

If you are really going to use large quantities, get into the
commercial size stuff.

http://greatstuff.dow.com/greatstuff...pplicators.htm

This system requires that you have cleaner for the gun. The
advantage is that you do not use up the entire can. I buy the
door and window product to avoid collateral damages. Triple
expanding can be deadly depending on the situation.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DanG

"Steve B" wrote in message
I need to use a bunch of this product this spring to patch up
some holes in my cabin where the carpentryship wasn't exact. I
notice they have two formulas, one expanding more than the other
one.

Tips on usage appreciated.

In some places, the gap is up to an inch. Would I be better to
poke shredded fiberglass in there using a dowel as a poker, then
seal it with Great Stuff? Or even seal it with a nice shade of
caulking? Or fill it mostly with Great Stuff, then smooth or
cut smooth, then caulk over for a nice finish?

Probably going to use a couple of dozen cans in all. It depends
on how much I fill up with shredded glass first, or just use the
foam for the entire void. What would you do?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Rick Brandt wrote:

The power of the expanding foam CAN damage stuff. Be conservative. It can
crack drywall and bow metal thresholds enough that the door
rubs.

Or crack windows if put in between window frames & studs. As was mentioned,
don't shape the stuff. Wait until it dries, then cut it with a knife.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote in message
I need to use a bunch of this product this spring to patch up some holes in
my cabin where the carpentryship wasn't exact. I notice they have two
formulas, one expanding more than the other one.

Tips on usage appreciated.

In some places, the gap is up to an inch. Would I be better to poke
shredded fiberglass in there using a dowel as a poker, then seal it with
Great Stuff? Or even seal it with a nice shade of caulking? Or fill it
mostly with Great Stuff, then smooth or cut smooth, then caulk over for a
nice finish?

Probably going to use a couple of dozen cans in all. It depends on how
much I fill up with shredded glass first, or just use the foam for the
entire void. What would you do?

Steve

There's three types - Cracks/Gaps in the red can, Big Gaps in the black can
and Doors/Windows in the blue can.

I've found if you fill a big area with the Big Gaps stuff (2" x 5" x 22") it
cures and then over the next couple of weeks shrinks and leaves an 1/8" -
1/4" gap all the way around. The Door/Windows version cures to a harder
skin than the Cracks/Gaps plus doesn't push very hard against things so I've
settled on that kind.

For air sealing, lay a bead down all the way in and let it expand. Put in
less than you think you need until you get the hang of how much it expands.
Put some insulation on top of that if you want after it cures.

For void filling, I've found the best bet is to fill as much as possible
with a piece of XPS foam board (the pink stuff at Home Depot). Cut a piece
so there is a 1/4" gap all the way around, put it in the gap and foam around
it. Nothing magic about the 1/4" number - that's the size of the dispensing
tube.

Comes off your skin easily with acetone. Of course, acetone isn't
particularly good for you so wear thin gloves if you got 'em. My work
clothes have paint, caulk and glue on them so I can't tell if I ever got any
GS on it.

When in doubt, read the instructions on the can.

Steve.

If you are just going for air sealing

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 16:29:59 -0600, "Rick Brandt"
wrote:

"Steve B" wrote in message
[...]

I will be giving a off-topic comment now:

To easily removing this product from you skin,
Use baby powder before and after the use on your hand
or part of skin it touch. It do work great.

Louis

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve Barker" wrote in message
One thing to remember, be prepared to use the whole can once you begin.
You'll never come back to a partial can and have it work.

--
Steve Barker

Good point. Also, I've had a couple of cans that wouldn't work at all so
buy a couple extra if you live 15 miles from the nearest hardware store like
I do.

Steve.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"SteveF" wrote in message
.. .

"Steve Barker" wrote in message
One thing to remember, be prepared to use the whole can once you begin.
You'll never come back to a partial can and have it work.

--
Steve Barker

Good point. Also, I've had a couple of cans that wouldn't work at all so
buy a couple extra if you live 15 miles from the nearest hardware store
like I do.

Steve.

Yeah, I found a couple of partially used cans in the shed from the previous
owner, and no way to get any more out of that spout. I figured getting it
all ready and using whole cans start to finish. It is 7.2 miles down to the
hardware store from my cabin, not bad. The next settlement is 30 miles from
that store.

I'm ending up with a small hardware store up there, but every time I can go
scrounge something and save a trip to town, I have to high five the nearest
tree limb.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 14:25:51 -0800, "Steve B"
wrote:

I need to use a bunch of this product this spring to patch up some holes in
my cabin where the carpentryship wasn't exact. I notice they have two
formulas, one expanding more than the other one.

Tips on usage appreciated.

In some places, the gap is up to an inch. Would I be better to poke
shredded fiberglass in there using a dowel as a poker, then seal it with
Great Stuff? Or even seal it with a nice shade of caulking? Or fill it
mostly with Great Stuff, then smooth or cut smooth, then caulk over for a
nice finish?

Probably going to use a couple of dozen cans in all. It depends on how much
I fill up with shredded glass first, or just use the foam for the entire
void. What would you do?

Steve

imho:

Since this is just an option question, I dislike "great stuff" I've
had much better results with the latex competitor. The stuff doesn't
over expand, and cleans off clothes.

As for a finish, I've heard people tooling it(razor scraper) after it
cures and painting the stuff.

BTW, for larger gaps you can use backer rod with caulk, instead of
expanding foam.

tom @ www.BlankHelp.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

LayPerson Tom wrote:

Since this is just an option question, I dislike "great stuff" I've
had much better results with the latex competitor. The stuff doesn't
over expand, and cleans off clothes.

I think you are talking about the DAP product. I've used both. The DAP latex
material is a little softer and less dense than Great Stuff. Depending on what
you plan to put on top of the foam (if anything), Great Stuff provides a
slightly stronger base for material like plastic wood.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I need to use a bunch of this product this spring to patch up some holes in
my cabin where the carpentryship wasn't exact. I notice they have two
formulas, one expanding more than the other one.

Tips on usage appreciated.

In some places, the gap is up to an inch. Would I be better to poke
shredded fiberglass in there using a dowel as a poker, then seal it with
Great Stuff? Or even seal it with a nice shade of caulking? Or fill it
mostly with Great Stuff, then smooth or cut smooth, then caulk over for a
nice finish?

Probably going to use a couple of dozen cans in all. It depends on how much
I fill up with shredded glass first, or just use the foam for the entire
void. What would you do?

Steve

imho:

I would use backer rod if you want to confine where you squirt the
stuff. In the future you might want to check the expanding foam that
is latex based. It cleans up with soap and water, and can be painted
over.

Just thinking out loud....

tom @ www.YourMoneyMakingIdeas.com