Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
J. J. is offline

Default End grain sealer

FWIW I gave some rough turned oak an end treatment with oil based primer
because it was the thickest most expendable stuff that what was at hand
at the moment. Two months later half of the pieces seem not to have any
cracks at all, the remainder have small end checks and one has an ugly
check along the middle of the log. AFAIK there was no pith in any of the
pieces but I may be wrong about the ugly one.

I've heard of people melting down candles to make their own end sealer
but somehow I think Anchorseal would be cheaper and more reliable.

J.

MinnJim wrote:
I have a bunch of fresh cut walnut limb,crotches and stumps available
now and would like to seal the end grain for future use. Anchorseal is
not available easily in this area and seems expensive. Has anyone
tried a couple of coats of old left over latex paint on the expsosed
ends or does anyone think this will work?
MinnJim