Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Kevin Miller Kevin Miller is offline

Default End grain sealer

MinnJim wrote:
I have a bunch of fresh cut walnut limb,crotches and stumps available
now and would like to seal the end grain for future use. Anchorseal is
not available easily in this area and seems expensive. Has anyone
tried a couple of coats of old left over latex paint on the expsosed
ends or does anyone think this will work?
MinnJim

I've used old latex with so-so success. If it is still pretty much the
normal consistency you'll need to put on several coats in my experience,
to equal the protection you get from Anchorseal. Once however I had
some *really* old latex which was more the consistency of pudding.
We're talking thick. I painted that on, and it worked great. I
estimated it was about the equivalent of five coats of regular latex.

S'later...

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller