Posted to rec.woodworking
Larry Larry is offline

Default hand plane:

In article , sal wrote:
Hello Woodies:

I have found an old plane with these markings on it. Bailly no 5 Stanly ,it
is close to 12" in length. I have just really gotten into
wood work and wonder if it would be useful on some projects. It is priced
at $22.00 Can. Would anyone care to comment?

Sal

Take another look and see if it is actually marked 5 1/4. Is the
blade 2" wide, or 1 3/4? A #5 is a common jack plane and they are
about 14" long. Stanley made a 5 1/4, or "junior jack" that was
somewhat shorter in length and used the narror blade ( 1 3/4 vs 2" )
If it is in decent condition $22 is a good price; If it is the
5 1/4 model it is worth a little more due to scarcity but the
regular #5 is probably more useful as a "user" Personally, I don't
know that I'd buy a 4th jack plane, but I'd probably spring for the
junior jack if I had the opportunity for $22.

--
Often wrong, never in doubt.

Larry Wasserman - Baltimore Maryland - lwasserm(a)sdf.lonestar.org