Posted to alt.home.repair
Dave Martindale Dave Martindale is offline

Default Drying dishes in a dishwasher

mm writes:

" Condensation Drying
Unlike other drying systems that use unclean air from the kitchen’s
back wall, Bosch uses the residual heat from the warm water inside its
tub. A sanitizing temperature of 161°F leaves residual heat in the
tub, creating condensation along the cooler wall. The condensation is
then drained so you’ll never have to release steam into the kitchen."

This sounds like puffing to me. Why would the walls be cooler than
the steam? Alternatively, why would the walls be cooler than the
walls of other dishwashers...Because their last water was higher than
161? How much higher might it be? Not much I think.

I don't have a Bosch, but suppose they arrange for cool room air to flow
around the outside of the stainless tub. That would keep the tub cool,
and keep the dew point of the inside of the dishwasher at about room
temperature. The dishes, still considerably hotter than room
temperature, will evaporate water into this air more readily than what's
usually inside a dishwasher (where the dew point is equal to the
temperature of the dishes.

If this is correct, then the heat is dumped into the room, but the
moisture is not (because it condenses into water inside the tub). The
dishes are dried with the clean air inside the dishwasher, rather than
fresh air drawn in from the kitchen. And there is no additional heater
involved, so no danger of anything being melted by the extra heat.

But it would require a metal tub, not a plastic one, to use the tub as
the heat exchanger.

Dave