Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Drying dishes in a dishwasher

On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 20:52:11 -0800, ess wrote:

On 25 Jan 2007 20:41:41 -0800, "BobK207" wrote:

On Jan 25, 7:17 pm, "Terry" wrote:
On Jan 25, 10:06 pm, Bob wrote:

Terry wrote:
..My question is will the dishes dry faster if I leave them inside with
the door closed (while warm) or open the door and let the water
evaporate?
The heat accelerates the drying process, but the steam may inhibit it.
So the most efficient solution may be to open the door immediately after
the wash cycle completes to allow the steam to escape, then close it to
to have the heat help dry the dishes.

As others have stated, conduct some experiments and post the results.I will just use the spatula wet if I need it before tomorrow.

I do like the tip to go ahead and use the dry cycle in the winter
though.

I do like the tip to go ahead and use the dry cycle in the winter
though.

USing the the dry cycle in the winter only makes economic sense if
electric heat is cheaper than furnace heat.

I think a lot of this depends on where you live. I live in a very dry area so extra
humidity is welcome in the winter but it also means my dishes dry very fast without
heat.

True, they dry fast without extra heat.

But first part: You won't get extra humidity by using heat. You'll
get the same, except maybe some water will have time to drip off and
go down the drain** before it evaporates. You could consider
attaching a humidifier to your furnace. You would feel warmer with
the same temp, so you could use a lower temp and feel just as warm.

**How much water does the pump pump out. Is there what is basically a
trap at the bottom of the dishwasher, or does the pump pump the bottom
dry and rely on the trap below the sink. If the pipes at the bottom
don't hold as much as they could after the water part of the whole
cycle is over, then water dripping off would just sit in the pipes,
where I suppose it would evaporate slowly, double slowly.