Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Drying dishes in a dishwasher

On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 01:41:28 GMT, (Malcolm Hoar)
wrote:

In article s.com, "EXT" wrote:
Another Usenet myth. I have a Bosch dishwasher and it does not vent the
moisture down the drain. How could it? The trap would stop all but fairly
strong air pressure. Also, most dishwashers are tied into the drainline
along with either the sink or garbage disposal ahead of the trap, and the
moisture would just come up through that route.

Some (not all) Bosch models have what they call
"Condensation Drying".

I don't know how well it works in reality but it is
most certainly a feature that Bosch advertise and
their description of it seems reasonably sensible:

http://www.boschappliances.com/highl...2#highlight_25

" Condensation Drying
Unlike other drying systems that use unclean air from the kitchen’s
back wall, Bosch uses the residual heat from the warm water inside its
tub. A sanitizing temperature of 161°F leaves residual heat in the
tub, creating condensation along the cooler wall. The condensation is
then drained so you’ll never have to release steam into the kitchen."

This sounds like puffing to me. Why would the walls be cooler than
the steam? Alternatively, why would the walls be cooler than the
walls of other dishwashers...Because their last water was higher than
161? How much higher might it be? Not much I think.

In answer to my own question in another post, it warms the water not
with a heater in the bottom but with a "Flow-Through Water Heater™
In traditional heating elements, water falls randomly onto a coil,
which warms it inefficiently and creates a hazard. By passing it
through a heating chamber instead, Bosch allows the water to reach
temperatures of up to 161°F safely and quickly. This means you can
place plastic items in the bottom rack without fear of melting or
damage."