Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Drying dishes in a dishwasher

On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 02:42:01 GMT, Paul M. Eldridge
wrote:

I have a Bosch dishwasher and it utilizes this condensation drying
technique; I'm pretty sure all Bosch dishwasher with stainless steel
interiors work the same way.

Overall, it does the job quite well. Drying may take a little longer,
but this isn't a problem if you run the dishwasher overnight.
Sometimes a small amount of water can remain on various items, such as
the bottom of plastic cups and bowls (the ones with outer rings) or on
the recessed surfaces of plastic serving utensils. I don't honestly
recall if this was a problem with my previous dishwasher (a Frigidaire
Pro Gallery) or if it's something unique to Bosch.

The key advantages of this approach are as follows:

1) it's more energy efficient, since no additional energy is
required to dry the dishes;
2) it's more sanitary in the sense that it doesn't draw room
air through the dishwasher, which may in turn deposit dust
and dirt on dishware;
3) it doesn't exhaust heat and moisture into the room which can
add to your home's air conditioning load; moisture condenses
on the interior surface of the dishwasher and is subsequently
disposed down the drain;
4) it's quieter, in that it doesn't provide a direct path for sound
to leak out; and,
5) it eliminates the heating element at the bottom of the tub,
thereby increasing the amount of usable space inside the
dishwasher.

How does the water get heated for the wash cycle, without the heating
element at the bottom?

Cheers,
Paul

On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 01:41:28 GMT, (Malcolm Hoar)
wrote:

In article s.com, "EXT" wrote:
Another Usenet myth. I have a Bosch dishwasher and it does not vent the
moisture down the drain. How could it? The trap would stop all but fairly
strong air pressure. Also, most dishwashers are tied into the drainline
along with either the sink or garbage disposal ahead of the trap, and the
moisture would just come up through that route.

Some (not all) Bosch models have what they call
"Condensation Drying".

I don't know how well it works in reality but it is
most certainly a feature that Bosch advertise and
their description of it seems reasonably sensible:

http://www.boschappliances.com/highl...2#highlight_25