Posted to alt.electronics,sci.electronics.equipment
Peter Hucker Peter Hucker is offline

Default Running an empty microwave oven

On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 19:22:41 -0000, Fred McKenzie wrote:

In article op.tmmhywbk4buhsv@fx62, "Peter Hucker"
wrote:

On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 16:49:43 -0000, Snap Whipcrack..............
wrote:
Microwave ovens don't care what you put inside. They do not have
feedback loops. You can cook a raisin or a melon or nothing at all.

But where do you think the power ends up if it is not absorbed?

Peter-

If there is nothing in the microwave, there is no load, or at least very
little. If there is no load, there is no power dissipated. It is
somewhat like having 120 VAC at the wall socket with nothing plugged-in.

I don't think you're right. The magnetron is converting electricity to microwaves and transmitting them, at a rate of several hundred watts. They come out of the magnetron and bounce around the oven until they are absorbed by water. If they are not absorbed, they will eventually bounce back into the magetron and cause damage.

The problem isn't heat as much as voltage. With no load, the magnetron
voltage will be higher than normal. The question is really whether or
not damage will occur from over-voltage.

Someone in another thread a few weeks ago, said that only very early
microwave ovens would be damaged by running them empty. I know that one
I bought in 1976 came with a warning about running it empty, as well as
not putting anything metallic in it. However, two that were bought
about ten years ago did NOT come with such warnings,

I just bought a very cheap one (£27) which DID come with a warning. It says "damage to the oven may occur".

and even came with metal racks!

The metal is only a problem in certain shapes I believe. All it does is provide a short circuit from point A to point B for the microwaves. If the metal is thin (eg. gold plating) it will be damaged by heat, just as a thin wire would be conducting electricity.

These questions about South Africa were posted on a South African Tourism
Website and were answered by the website owner.

Q: Does it ever get windy in South Africa? I have never seen it rain on TV, so how do the plants grow? (UK)
A: We import all plants fully grown and then just sit around watching them die.

Q: Will I be able to see elephants in the street? (USA)
A: Depends how much you've been drinking.

Q: I want to walk from Durban to Cape Town - can I follow the railroad tracks? (Sweden)
A: Sure, it's only two thousand kilometres, take lots of water...

Q: Can you give me some information about Koala Bear racing in South Africa? (USA)
A: Aus-tra-lia is that big island in the middle of the pacific. A-fri-ca is the big triangle shaped continent south of Europe which does not... oh forget it. Sure, the Koala Bear racing is every Tuesday night in Hillbrow. Come naked.

Q: Can you send me the Vienna Boys' Choir schedule? (USA)
A: Aus-tri-a is that quaint little country bordering Ger-man-y, which is...oh forget it. Sure, the Vienna Boys Choir plays every Tuesday night in Hillbrow, straight after the Koala Bear races. Come naked.

Q: Do you have perfume in South Africa? (France)
A: No, WE don't stink.

Q: I have developed a new product that is the fountain of youth. Can you tell me where I can sell it in South Africa? (USA)
A: Anywhere significant numbers of Americans gather.

Q: Are there killer bees in South Africa? (Germany)
A: Not yet, but for you, we'll import them.

Q: Are there supermarkets in Cape Town and is milk available all year round? (Germany)
A: No, we are a peaceful civilization of vegan hunter-gatherers. Milk is illegal.

Q: Will I be able to speek English most places I go? (USA)
A: Yes, but you'll have to learn it first.