Posted to uk.d-i-y
NoSpam NoSpam is offline

Default generator problem(s)

Thomas Prufer wrote:
On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 09:47:44 +0000, NoSpam wrote:

Thanks. Presumably it just relies on residual magnetism to get
started(?). If there aren't any "well known" failure modes I just need
to work through methodically.

Some generators may fail with a "no residual magnetism left" mode -- mine has
something like that in the manual. The curse, ISTR, is to attach a 12 volt DC
source to the output and then start up the generator again.

I've googled a bit and found this:

http://www.engineersedge.com/motors/...d_flashing.htm

(wot basically says "read the applicable manual...)

and this bit of magic:

http://www.perr.com/tip16.html

Thomas Prufer

Fantastic! I'll give it a go over the weekend. The thing is producing so
much smoke at the moment that I can't run it in the garage.

Hugh