Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan Joseph Meehan is offline

Default Drying dishes in a dishwasher

Malcolm Hoar wrote:
In article , "Joseph
Meehan" wrote:
Leave the door open. Being warm does not help if there is no
place for the moisture to go.

In the winter go ahead and use the dry cycle. There will be very
little cost since the heat used will go towards warming your home.

True.

On the other
hand during the summer with the A/C on you take a double hit since
you pay for the heat and then you pay to pump it outside.

Not true (for most dishwashers). Most vent the heat into the
kitchen anyway (during the dry cycle). Where else do you
think it goes? Opening the door after the rinse cycle has
completed and before the drying cycle has started simply
vents the heat more rapidly. The total energy released is
essentially the same either way.

I guess I did not make it clear. I was referring to using the dry cycle
where the dishwasher turns on additional heat to speed the drying. Of
course the residual heat in the washer would always end up in the kitchen.
I assume some or all dishwashers do add additional heat during the dry cycle
as mine did many years ago.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit