Martin H. Eastburn

Default the Home Schooled was Clark is correct

The Feds have had a large hand in local Education for many years.

Heck - In 61 - that is 1961, I took a German class and the books were
all paid for by the Federal government. NDEA - National Defense Education Act.
Likewise while I taught at the University, I taught classes at the local
high school. Those were Electronics - A Technology class. I worked for the
State of Texas during those hours, the local school district made out like
a bandit. The class had federal impact funds and paid for 100% outside of
their budget. And they got paid for it as well. Such a deal.

I worked both jobs for 10 years and stayed one more year at the University.

So since at least the second world war or soon thereafter and very likely before,
there has been Federal purse strings tying the hands of some and giving the
flex in others. Plenty of waste exists - during the 70's and 80's (I have friends
still working in the school district) the head shed - central office that is -
grew like the children in the baby boom. Many many many new titles and depts...

Feather bedding never had it over Administrators and Teachers Unions (different ones).

Martin

Gunner wrote:

On 18 Feb 2004 18:06:42 -0800, jim rozen
wrote:

In article , Gunner says...

Nationwide standardized testing. Not just per state.

W H A T ??????

Hold the phone, somebody just kidnapped gunner
and is impersonating him on usenet! I can't
believe the one and only *true* gunner would advocate
a change from state and local control, to big
government federal control, on an issue like this.

Psst..no big government control. Government mandated Standards. The
state and local systems must meet those standards (as they do now) to
be accredited. Someone has to set a national standard that each state
and local government must meet. Including teacher quality standards.

Education has *always* been handled mostly on a local
level, and to some degree on a statewide level. To
suggest that the federal government should step in
and set standards for education, to set up and supervise
testing, and to attempt to punish those who don't
perform, is possibly one of the most *liberal* ideas
that have floated by on this ng in quite some time.

Think of it as UL Labs. No sticker, no creditation. No creditation,
no local money to the school. Simple. Lots of national standards for
things, such as the fire codes. ( in addition to local ones, which
generally follow the national ones..though not always)
Think of it as crash test standards...lol

Hell..it could be any independant organization, But the Department of
Education is already set up. Shrug. They already mandate various
quality standards

http://www.ed.gov

Its evident that state and local agencies are unable or unwilling to
set reasonable standards.

I'm sure you want to rephrase what you thinking of,
because that came as a bit of a shocker.

Nope..see my rational above.

Gunner

And mores the pity. Want to give us a clue as to who was behind that
program being shut down?

I think we both know.

My understanding is that NY is in a major budget
crunch. They're cutting everything. But I'll
ask my buddy in the know, and report back.

Jim

please reply to:

"To be civilized is to restrain the ability to commit mayhem.
To be incapable of committing mayhem is not the mark of the civilized,
merely the domesticated." - Trefor Thomas

--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
@ home at Lion's Lair with our computer