Posted to alt.home.repair
Paul M. Eldridge Paul M. Eldridge is offline

Default Where is that Global Warming Al Gore? (Need help on house.)

My apologies; I managed to lose the text of my reply.

On 25 Jan 2007 06:02:54 -0800, wrote:

Or how about some of the other bandwagons that the scientific/political
community jumped on, only to be proven wrong? Remember how in the
70s they told us that because of fat, eating butter was going to kill
us? So, they recommended replacing it with margarine, made out of
transfats. Now, according to current thinking, it turns out the
margarine was far worse. So bad, in fact, that NYC just past a law
barring it from all restaurants.

Let's be clear. New York City did NOT ban the use of margarine in
restaurants; the ban pertains to artificial trans fats and margarine
that does not contain artificial trans fats can still be used.

If you want to learn more about the butter versus margarine debate,
see:

http://www.clevelandclinic.org/heart.../margarine.htm

And this is not something new. Nutrionists have warned for years that
diets high in saturated and tans fats can greatly increase our risk of
obesity, type 2 diabetes, heart attack, stroke and colon cancer.
Concerns over hydrogenated oils date back at least twenty-five years.

The thing that makes me most skeptical of global warming being caused
by man, is that whenever it's brought up and discussed, there is never
a discussion about previous warming/cooling cycles that occurred in the
absence of any possible man made effects. Exactly what caused all of
these cycles and how do we know the same effect is occuring now?

You mean such as this:

http://www.epa.gov/climatechange/science/pastcc.html

or this?

http://www.giss.nasa.gov/edu/gwdebate/

As for scientists being in consensus, here's what Richard Lindzen,
Professor of Atmospheric Science at MIT had to say, about how
established, reputable scientists who disagree are being ignored or
shut out of discussion:

I presume this is the same Richard Lindzen who has testified on behalf
of the Western Fuels Association, a consortium of coal miners and
coal-fired utilities and OPEC, right?

See:
http://www.desmogblog.com/comment/reply/417

Cheers,