Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Neta heat / Potterton 10/16 boiler cycling?

On Wed, 24 Jan 2007 21:43:12 +0000 (UTC), Ed Sirett
wrote:

Do all the low tech stuff first.

clean the burner,

Tick

check the electrode, lead

Checked at first then replaced the ht lead and sparker electrode
(minimum order at local place).

and gas supply pressures.

Not done that as yet.

Then get a module.

We were lucky a mate had a 'spare' module in his van and exchanging it
seemed to do the job ;-)

If that does not fix it you'd have to say it was some weird GV problem
which might put the boiler beyond economic repair. The boiler around 20
years old.

And (now) going strong again it seems ;-)

There was one major issue and potentially still one 'other' issue.

The major issue was after fitting the spare module and having the
boiler run as good as gold, the next morning it was completely dead.
No fan, nothing. After checking / inspecting the module and
surrounding connections (and finding nothing wrong) I powered it back
up and it ran first time and according to the thanks I got via text
and on MSN last still running nicely ;-)

My only thought was if there was a failing in the orange connector
that joins the air pressure sensor to the module. *If* the actual plug
had dirty / poor connections inside it then that would have been
common to both modules and potentially a cause of issues /
intermittency? Me removing the plug and pushing it back on may have
cleaned the contacts slightly? shrug

Tapping the module lightly with a screwdriver handle did seem to make
something 'glitch' but then there are two relays in there so I guess
it might?

Anyway, pushing all the wiring about didn't seem to have any effect so
whatever it was seems to be gone .. for now at least .. ?

All the best ..

T i m