Posted to alt.electronics,sci.electronics.equipment
Snap Whipcrack.............. Snap Whipcrack.............. is offline

Default Running an empty microwave oven

Peter Hucker wrote:
On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 16:49:43 -0000, Snap Whipcrack.............. wrote:

Peter Hucker wrote:
Is it really true that turning on a microwave with nothing in it will break it?

Even more worrying - will it catch fire or explode?

Don't they have a safety cutout? Can't it sense the Klystron overheating, or a build up of microwaves over a certain level?

I have purchased a new microwave which has an easier to grab control. I'm concerned one of my pet parrots will switch it on! (Seriously, they do stuff like that)

Microwave ovens don't care what you put inside. They do not have
feedback loops. You can cook a raisin or a melon or nothing at all.

But where do you think the power ends up if it is not absorbed?

It dissipates. Where do you think the microwave transmitters on mountain
tops power ends up? It doesn't go round and round the earth forever.