Posted to sci.electronics.repair
bz bz is offline

Default tek 545 scope 'too bright'

"Ancient_Hacker" wrote in news:1169569646.335974.73670
@d71g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

if you go download:

ftp://bama.sbc.edu/downloads/tek/545...%20545a(2).pdf

you'll have a service manual.

You probably should replace any of those black tubular bakelite
capacitors.. They tend to get anywhere from slightly to horribly
leaky. Any leakage over a microamp will mess up the grid biasing.

That would explain a lot.

see the next to last page for the CRT circuit.

The brightness circuit has many high-megohm resistors-- thesetend to
drift in value over the decades.

Also around the intensity control there are several capacitors in the
C82x range -- replace them. They might measure okay under 1.5 volts
from your meter, but leak badly when under high voltage.

Thanks, will give those a try.

The russian 12ax7s arrived today but did not fix the problem.
Looks like it is going to be a long process to fix up this beauty.

--
bz 73 de N5BZ k

infinite set.

remove ch100-5 to avoid spam trap