Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan Joseph Meehan is offline

Default Where is that Global Warming Al Gore? (Need help on house.)

# Fred # wrote:
It certainly stops at my house as I'm freezing my ass off for weeks
now. Whenever I turn the thermostat up a notch I know it'll cost me
later by digging deeper into my wallet.

I need some help as my house is so energy inefficient. The house is
late 1970s and is located in the Bay Area. Except for the HW heater
it has not been updated, energy wise. It has concrete tile roof
without plywood or OSB sheeting under it (so attic fan is useless)
such that it absorbs heat in the Summer days and release it back into
the house during nights - very hot regarding the second floor
bedrooms. Its a two story house with a split HVAC, about 4" blown in
insulation in the attic and single pane windows and sliding patio
doors. I don't have the cash reserve to do everything at once so
where should I start first to get the most efficient use of my money?
I'm looking at long term so I want to do it right. Do I start with
replacing the windows first, than insulation and lastly the HVAC and
the front entry double doors, or is it in a difference sequence?
Maybe perhaps a new roof too? I would like to incorporate some solar
energy and/or some kind of heat recovery system sometime in the
future after the basic energy upgrades are finished. I like to go
for it if I could visualize payback within 20 years.

I would start with more insulation (8 or more inches) and since that is
a 30 + year old AC and Heat, you will gain a lot by replacing them with
modern energy efficient units. I doubt if it will be much longer before you
have to replace them anyway.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit