Posted to alt.home.repair
SJF SJF is offline

Default What does the water company charge you for?

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
. net...
In article ,
says...

Around here Acre Foot is quite common (about 326,000 gallons, 1233 cubic
meters).

Baloney. What water utility measures *residential* water usage in acre-
feet?? Agricultural or industrial, perhaps. But residential? No way.

That also happens to be a approximate amount that a family of
4 uses in a year.

Baloney again. Do the math.

No, wait, here, I'll do it for you, since you're obviously "challenged"
in that area.

1 a-f = 326000 gallons (you did get that part right -- but that's all)
326000 gallons in a year = 892 gallons PER DAY
Now divide by 4 people...

223 gallons PER PERSON PER DAY.

Baloney.

Here in Las Vegas (desert climate) per capita usage is commonly stated to be
300 gallons per person per day. That is a water utility planning figure and
includes commercial usage and rather heavy residential irrigation usage. In
most areas of the country, 100 gpd is more common as I recall.

My in-house use measured at the water softener is about 100 gpd for two
people. In the summer my total usage goes up to 2500 gallons per day
including the water used to irrigate a large yard.

SJF