John Noid

Default Advice needed on steam engine repair

Bob May wrote:

The best way would be to sleeve the pipe with another piece of pipe and
solder all of that together.
Soldering with the drill inside will tend to also solder the drill inside
and you will have to pull all of it apart again.
In addition, butt soldering the pipe will not have the same strength as
the pipe itself and that will cause another rupture at that point.

--
Bob May
Losing weight is easy! If you ever want to lose weight, eat and drink

Thanks I was afraid of that. Does anyone know of a source for pipe that OD
is the same as a number 25 drill bit? I can't sleeve it outside since it
runs thru the cylinder "steam feed" mechanism. I don't think that it needs
a whole lot of strength especially if it doesn't (I suspect) get dropped
again. I have some silver solder that reads - cover part to be solder with
flux - the solder will not stick to the parts that don't get covered. Is
that my salvation? I also figured I could solder the threads together at
the point of breakage since I could shim the piece so that those threads
were not needed.
Thanks