Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.consumers.frugal-living,sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default Planned Obselescence....A Good Thing?

On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 09:59:08 -0800, SMS
wrote:

Vic Smith wrote:

You got your stories, I got mine.

They're not my stories. There are regularly warnings by automotive
columnists and mechanics to avoid the quick-change oil change places
like the plague, as well as the horror stories of customers that have
had their vehicles damaged by these places.

Sure, they're your stories. You believe them and apparently are
affected by them. I believe the horror stories, but also believe them
be merely anecdotal warnings that "**** happens."
In fact, my son the professional mechanic, last year called me from
the road asking to bring him oil and a drain plug. He had just been
working in my garage putting an intake manifold and a bunch of other
stuff on his car, and changed the oil while he was at it. Didn't
tighten the drain plug and it shook out. He saw the stream in his
mirror when it came loose, pulled over and shut it down, so no harm
was done except 4 quarts of Mobile 1 on the street. This is a kid who
is truly mechanically gifted, but doesn't specialize in changing oil.
I have *never* hand tightened an oil drain plug, always wrenching it
when it goes in, and I'm sure he won't make that mistake again. But
he can do 10 things at once, and I can do only 1.
Point is, the quick lube places specialize in this simple stuff,
sometimes with drill instructer-like shouts of "Plug in!!!, "Plug
torqued to 20 foot pounds!!!" Sort of funny, but good practice.
OTOH, I've heard the same type of oil plug horror stories about dealer
service bays, and independents. **** happens.
The only effect these stories have had on me is to make me pull over
after *anybody* changes my oil and make sure nothing is screwed up.
Since I don't crawl under the car, even that won't help with a
hand-tightened plug, which is a time bomb.
The only way to be absolutely confident that things are done as you
would do them is to do them yourself. Of, course then when you screw
something up, you can't whine and carry on about it.
Though I usually change my own oil, I've been to quick lube places
many, many times and *never* had an issue. Those are my stories.
BTW, I'm more particular about who does other types of auto
maintenance on my cars.

I'm not risking my vehicle to a place like that. I'll bring it to a
reputable independent mechanic, do it myself, or go to the dealer if
they have a good price. Usually the Toyota dealer has an oil change deal
that is cheaper than Jiffy Lube, plus they are using better quality
filters, and more experienced mechanics.

Good for you. Sounds as if you have your own stories of success.
You're happy with your stories, and I with mine.

--Vic