Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech
Speedskater Speedskater is offline

Default Infinity crossover coil value

Bob Urz wrote:

Arny Krueger wrote:

"Bob Urz" wrote in message

Arny Krueger wrote:

"Bob Urz" wrote in message

Arny Krueger wrote:

"Bob Urz" wrote in message

Arny Krueger wrote:

"BOB Urz" "sound"@(remove) inetnebr.com wrote in
message

When i can get no rings out of them on the sencore,
you can about guarantee some turns are shorted.

That appears to be self-contradictory.

Are you trying to saythat even though the coils pass
a shorted-turn test, you still think they are too far
gone to be worth measuring?

You DON'T understand Arny.

Right Bob I can't read your mind. You wrote a post in a
way that would only be meaningful to someone who had
experience with a specific piece of fairly esoteric
test equipment.

Well , lets see. I said i got no rings, and that about
guarantees a shorted turns. You (who obviously doesn't
know about ringers), says it appears to be
contradictory. So, you obviously thought you knew something about
ringers to make your statement "that appears to be self
contradictory".

I know that this will make your day Bob, but I've never
heard of a shorted-turn tester called a ringer. I said
that the usage appeared to be contrdictory for that
reason. Therefore your claim that I thought I knew what a ringer
was is completely false.

If you did no know
what a ringer or ring test on a coil was, goggle was a
few key strokes away.

I just googled "ringer shorted turn" and nothing popped
up that was obviously relevant in the first few pages.

Ditto for "ring test".

Humm Arny, your not as smart as i thought.

Google Marco search:
terms( coil ring test)
Results 11 - 20 of about 1,190,000 for coil ring test.

Not what I said. I introduced a concept that seems foreign to you Bob
- hits that are actually relevant to the topic.

By citing all these irrelevant hits, you're showing that you can't
determine relevance of the hits received to your own topic.

Ok Arny. Your a smart guy RIght? You have used google before right?
And you know how to search for topics?

With the words "coil ring sencore", here are the hits (in order)

ePanorama.net :: View topic - Infinity crossover coil value
to the tweeter. I tried to read the coil on my sencore, and it measures
about .3 MH. It won't pass any ring test (air core) so i know turns are ...
http://www.epanorama.net/phpBB2/view...6188 9a9e3a5a
- 69k - Jan 20, 2007 - Cached - Similar pages
[PDF]
Complete Flyback/IHVT Testing
File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - View as HTML
secondary windings will never ring 10. The primary coil is usually the
... This can be tested with a Sencore Z-. Meter. You first need to find
two separate ...
www.sencore.com/custsup/pdf/TT217.pdf - Similar pages
Sencore designs, builds, and markets electronic test instruments.
Sencore designs and manufactures electronic equipment for service and
repair ... number of cycles the inductor rings before reaching a preset
damping point. ...
www.sencore.com/products/lc103.htm - 15k - Cached - Similar pages
[ More results from www.sencore.com ]
Sencore
Sencore, Inc. Test Equipment / AC Power Management General or
Systemic ... all four failure modes, and complete coil tests for value
and shorted turns. ...
catalogs.infocommiq.com/AVCAT/CTL1857/index.cfm?mlc_id=1857&NOTRACK=1&pin_id=2345&prodID =315911
- 23k - Cached - Similar pages
[PDF]
LC103 ReZolver In-Circuit Capacitor & Inductor Analyzer
File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - View as HTML
Sencore Engineers have. empirically determined that any air core. or
ferrite core coil will ring at least. 10 times before decaying to less
than 25%, ...
catalogs.infocommiq.com/AVCAT/images/documents/pdfs/LC103%20brochure-6956.pdf
- Similar pages
Method and apparatus for testing television yokes and flyback ...
Assignee:, Sencore, Inc. (Sioux Falls, SD). Primary Class: ... Each
capacitor will cause the coil 16 to ring at a different frequency. ...
www.freepatentsonline.com/3990002.html - 26k - Cached - Similar pages
Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ: Testing of Flyback (LOPT) Transformers
Another 10 turn coil is wound on the suspect flyback core anywhere it
will fit. ... Sencore and others sell test equipment that includes the
'ring test' or ...
www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_flytest.html - 54k - Cached - Similar pages
[PDF]

You only had to go a couple of hits down to find information.
Hardly searching through 1000 of "irrelevant hits".
A computer literate person that claims to be such a audio
wealth of information should have been able to do this in
a couple of minutes.

Bob

News==----
Newsgroups

Bob, if in your first usage, you had said "using the Sencore ring test"
we would not be having this discussion. I think of a Sencore as an
old multi-meter. I had no idea that Sencore had a special coil test. To
me rings out is an old telephone term.