Posted to alt.home.repair
Everett M. Greene Everett M. Greene is offline

Default What does the water company charge you for?

Rich256 writes:
Terry wrote:
My bill was 11$. It said my usage was 2 units. I know that is not
gallons.

I expect that the unit is 100 Cubic Foot. About 1500 gallons. Possible
for one person in cool weather.

Most cities have a minimum fee.

Then comes the cost of delivery. If close to a river or lake the cost
can be very low. However, take Los Angeles which brings much of their
water in from the center of the state.

And the Colorado River and the Central California Project
and...

The city of Denver, has a tunnel

More than one.

under the continental divide bringing their Colorado River water in from
100 miles away. Their neighboring city of Aurora came late and the
nearby water rights were gone. Their main supply is on the Arkansas
river near Leadville. Their portion of the water flows to near the city
of Pubelo and then is pumped north over 100 miles. Aurora rate is
something over $4 a thousand gallons.

Las Vegas gets their water from the Colorado River,

Not believed to be true.

same as Denver but they just let it flow to Lake Mead

"to" Lake Mead? Las Vegas is substantially higher than
Lake Mead.

so their cost is much lower than Denver.