Posted to alt.home.repair
thetiler thetiler is offline

Default Tile or Cabinets, which first?

the sagacious dolt wrote:
actually
you NEVER tile first
the weight of the cabinets with countertops (especially natural stone)
will crack the new tiles.

Stick to cabinet installing. With tiles fastened to a
concrete slab with thinset, a car in the kitchen wouldn't
crack them, let alone a couple hundred pounds of
cabinets and tops.
The PSI of cabinets and stone tops wouldn't be near
what the PSI of a human is.

Actually there are circumstances where tile goes in
first (a real professional would have experienced this).
Sometimes in a new construction situation the cabinets
are going to be weeks late, yet the tilework is holding
up the job. The job super may have the tile put down
and cover it so the scheduled remaining work can continue.
Like I said, it's not a law to do cabinets first, just the
best way.

Proper way to install floor tile in kitchen or bathroom.

install cabinets, leaving off the toekick
tile floor and appliance cavities.
grout floor tiles
install finished toe kick.

Amazing the information one can find with Google.

make sure subflooring (cement board) is installed before cabinets get
installed.

Not being a wet area, cement board may not be necessary,
but every homeowner/handyman/know-it-all thinks it is.

how was that "thetiler"
I left in your good advice this time

Good thing you left in my advice so the OP can judge
who is the real contractor here.

thetiler