Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.consumers.frugal-living,sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
SMS SMS is offline

Default Planned Obselescence....A Good Thing?

scenario_dave wrote:

If you tell people 3000, a lot of them will start thinking about it at
3500 and get around to doing it at 5000 or 6000. If you say 7500, they
get around to it at 10,000 to 12,000. So if the ideal is to change it
at 7,500, your better off saying 3000, so most of the people will
change it before 7,500. Saves a lot of hasle in the long run.

LOL. Maybe some people are like this. I try to do the maintenance as
close as possible to the proper interval, so I can keep on schedule over
the long haul.

It's becoming moot as more and more vehicles have service interval
indicators that are based on driving conditions, temperature, etc.