Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default Tile or Cabinets, which first?

clipped

| Here's why you do the cabinets first......
| snipped the stupid comments
left in the good advice

| It's not against the law to do the tile first, but in all the
| new construction jobs I've done, it was 'cabinets first'

| thetiler

actually
you NEVER tile first
the weight of the cabinets with countertops (especially natural stone)
will crack the new tiles.

Weight of the cabinets? That, especially, does not make sense. What
about the fridge? The weight of the cabinets is spread out, and there
is no "give" beneath them. Just for the sake of argument, I would tile
the entire floor just because I like the idea better. If I have a leaky
sink or appliance, it seems it would be best to keep water from getting
under the tile? Tile first, and after all is done, caulk around the
baseboards (being very careful not to muck up the grout lines). That
little feature was in a previous home, and so I caulked after our LR/DR
were tiled.

If a cabinet installer is dropping tools onto a new tile floor, he can
anticipate not being paid until damage he does is repaired. And he
would not be at work in my home unless I was watching.