Posted to alt.home.repair
the sagacious dolt the sagacious dolt is offline

Default Tile or Cabinets, which first?

"thetiler" wrote in message
ups.com...

| # Fred # wrote:
| I did the cabinets first too but wonder if it was better the other
around
| considering all the time taken to trim all the floor tile pieces
around the
| cabinets and island. Didn't have to fill in all the tiles under the
| cabinets, just under the edges so there wouldn't be much tile wasted
but
| would save a lot of time.
|
| Time isn't the issue, the issue is what is right to do.
|
| If you do the cabinets first, don't you need to know how thick the
| flooring
| is going to and shim up the base cabinets accordantly?
|
| The original poster said the subfloor is installed and he's
| ready for tile, so the floor shouldn't be raised more than
| the thickness of a tile.
|
| Otherwise, you could
| possibly end up with the finished floor 1" higher than the subfloor
and the
| dishwasher won't fit under the cabinet or the slide in range too
high? Just
| a question.
|
| The adjustment feet of the dishwasher and range and precalculated
| height of a standard cabinet should make it all work out- never had
| a problem in my experience with the exception of very thick Mexican
| tiles, which can be over an inch thick. In the rare cases of Mexican
| tile going in, we'd have the cabinet people set the cabinets up on
| 3/4" plywood strips to compensate for the thick tiles.
|
| Here's why you do the cabinets first......
| snipped the stupid comments
left in the good advice

| It's not against the law to do the tile first, but in all the
| new construction jobs I've done, it was 'cabinets first'

| thetiler

actually
you NEVER tile first
the weight of the cabinets with countertops (especially natural stone)
will crack the new tiles.

Proper way to install floor tile in kitchen or bathroom.

install cabinets, leaving off the toekick
tile floor and appliance cavities.
grout floor tiles
install finished toe kick.

make sure subflooring (cement board) is installed before cabinets get
installed.

how was that "thetiler"
I left in your good advice this time