Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default What does the water company charge you for?

On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 00:15:41 GMT, "George E. Cawthon"
wrote:

mm wrote:
On 20 Jan 2007 08:05:29 -0800, "Harry K"
wrote:

Because a 'unit' is a much more useable measure for that much volume.
Much easier to look at a bill and see "oh, I used 3 units this month
instead of the usual 1' rather than seeing the volume in thousands of
gallons.

I think if this were designed for single family homes, it would be
better to use an average of 30 units, for example. So one wouldn't
have to cut or increase his usage by a whole third to see the number
change.

I would agree, but the units are probably measured
to the third decimal place not just whole numbers.
I know that CCF on my bill are to the fourth
decimal place as is the charge per CCF in dollars.

OK. I've never gotten a water bill from the water company. It seems
we would have to pay someone to read each house's meter, so we just
let them read the main meter and divide by 109, the number of houses.

So I get a bill from the HOA management company, with no details at
all, just a dollar amount.

Same reason some items are measured/sold by 'hundred weight' or 'tons'
vice pounds.

Harry K