Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech
Bob Urz Bob Urz is offline

Default Infinity crossover coil value

Arny Krueger wrote:
"BOB Urz" "sound"@(remove) inetnebr.com wrote in message

When i can get no rings out of them on the sencore, you
can about guarantee some turns are shorted.

That appears to be self-contradictory.

Are you trying to saythat even though the coils pass a shorted-turn test,
you still think they are too far gone to be worth measuring?

You DON'T understand Arny. Rings are GOOD on the sencore test. Low ring
count or NO ring count means the coil is shorted.

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/5717338.html

This coil would show NO rings on the inductor ring test. Its shorted.
If its shorted, the measured value of inductance is not going to be
accurate.

The ultimate solution is use the crossover circuit topography with the
listed value of caps and known crossover point (3500hz) and use algebra
to solve for the inductor value (solve for one unknown). I have been too
busy to try to figure that out. I also don't know why the tear sheets
says its a 24db filter, when the hand drawn schematic from the crossover
does not show that. It would need another inductor for that.
With two caps and a inductor, it appears to be a 3rd order.

I have barely a few hours in the shop before i have to head off to set
up for Jeff Daniel's and do FOH sound for two shows today.

Maybe someone with a lot of time on there hands can ID the filter from
the ascii drawing, and find the math to reverse engineer the inductor
value. There's a challenge for you Arny if your up to it.

I am guessing its in the .13 range at this point.

Bob